Re: [pygame] Distro for Beagle board

Miriam English wrote:
> Have you considered Puppy Linux?
> :) Kindof appropriate having a Beagle Puppy. heheh
>
> I've been using Puppy on my machines for some years now and it has come
> a long way. The latest, Puppy4.3.1, is the prettiest and easiest to use
> so far. The standard distro is tiny -- 100MB in size, and comes with a
> lot of stuff built-in, but not python as far as I remember. If you
> install the devx file for Puppy4.3.1 you get python and all the
> development sources, headers, etc to compile against. Installing pygame
> should be simple. It is a long while since I did that though.
>
> Puppy will boot straight from live CD, loading entirely into RAM and
> releasing your CD drive for other uses. Or you can run it from USB
> drive. It has some drive-saving features, like caching writes so as not
> to shorten the flash drive's life unnecessarily. Or you can install it
> on a hard drive and run it like any standard OS (what I usually do).
>
> Puppy is very fast, with a very small footprint, but I also use it on
> one of my machines for running 3D modelling stuff like Blender, sound
> editing, etc. It is also the only live Linux distro that I know of that
> is able to play almost any multimedia immediately.
>
> Puppy has some drawbacks, mainly resulting from cutting back on extra
> things not often used. Also, in an attempt to be as user-friendly as
> possible the user logs in as root. This scares a lot of die-hard Linux
> users as a possible security problem, but in practice it is fairly safe,
> and it isn't hard set up the default login as a less priveleged user.
>
> The main site:
> http://www.puppylinux.com/
>
> The most active forum:
> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/
>
> Ibiblio, where the distros and packages are:
> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
> but you'll want:
> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/
> and the packages (pet files):
> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/
>
> You can create your own version of Puppy with python and pygame already
> in there using "woof" (I'm not kidding, it really is called that).
> If you want to create a Puppy specifically for the ARM processor, woof
> might do that too. I can't help there as I haven't used woof, but there
> are a lot of people in the Puppy forum who I'm sure would be delighted
> to help.
>
> Read about woof here:
> http://puppylinux.com/woof/
>
> Cheers,
>
>     - Miriam
>
> PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi
>> We want to migrate our application to BeagleBoard :
>> http://beagleboard.org/
>>
>> In your opinion, wich distro would offer best support for Pygame ?
>>
>> Thank you

Ok, I'll look into it.
But I have questions : Beagle doesn't have any HDD, nor CD drive.  It
runs from SD FLASH.  Processor is OMAP from TI (ARM5 I think).

Thank

Any other people experienced Pygame on Beagle board ?
The web site list 5 or 6 linux distro running on Beagle.  I can try them
all, but I would appreciate to have some input before doing these tasks.

Cheers!
--
Pierre