[pygame] Pygame takes 16 seconds to start when my external keyboard is plugged in

Hi there,
  I'm running pygame on a Macbook Pro, running OSX 10.7.5.  When I start pygame on the macbook with no USB peripherals plugged in, it starts in about 1.0 seconds.

However, when I plug in my GoldTouch USB keyboard.  Don't know if it's useful, but here's the keyboard info from the "System Information" panel.

Goldtouch USB Keyboard:
  Product ID: 0x005b
  Vendor ID: 0x04ca  (Lite-On Technology Corp.)
  Version: 1.17
  Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Lite-On Technology Corp.
  Location ID: 0x06200000 / 4
  Current Available (mA): 500
  Current Required (mA): 100

System:  OSX 10.7.5
Python:  python 2.7 from macports (with numpy & other bits & pieces)
Pygame: pygame.ver=1.9.1release

Any thoughts on what might be happening?  16 seconds is pretty much forever.

The entirety of my 'game' is this:
   import pygame
   pygame.init()

That's it.  During the 16-seconds of start-up time, the CPU is pegged at 100%.  Eventually, it does start, but something sure seems wrong.

Thoughts on how I should attack debugging it if it's unknown?  It is the pygame.init() that takes all the time.

Thanks,
 -Caleb