Re: [pygame] goodbye SDL1, python 2.7/3.5?

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021, 08:43 René Dudfield, <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
so, we've been talking about stopping support

Yes, please! SDL1 is past its useful lifespan and was the cause of various weird window problems that just went away with SDL2.

I believe package tags can indicate that a package is not compatible with Python 2 but for good measure we should sabotage setup.py so that it refuses to do anything under Python 2.

Python 3.6 is end of life by the end of the year so we could drop support for that for good measure. https://devguide.python.org/

My big/growing bugbear is with pygame.mixer/SDL_mixer. I'm really glad you've fixed the MP3 support in 2.0.2dev4 but I don't think the underlying library is good at all - no procedural sounds, spatial audio, HRTFs, and sound buffers can't have variable formats (you can't supply a mono sound buffer when the mixer is set to stereo).

If we're thinking of big, big changes, maybe we could build a laundry list of them and jump to PyGame 3.0?