(FWD) Re: [pygame] pygame & XFree4 DGA

----- Forwarded message from Michael Teo <michaelteo@bigfoot.com> -----

From: "Michael Teo" <michaelteo@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:01:50 +0800
To: pygame-users@seul.org
Subject: Re: [pygame] pygame & XFree4 DGA

I am using i815 chip.
Apparently, it has something to do with the
pygame.display.set_mode(( 1024, 768 ), HWSURFACE|DOUBLEBUF)

When I do not use DOUBLEBUF, it work. However, the speed is 3 times slower.
With the test programs from libSDL, I can achieve at 2 times increase in
performance with DGA enabled.

I have tried why you guys have posted but pygame still dies.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 01:31:48PM -0700, David Clark wrote:

>  > there hasn't been a wide range of testing, but i do know
>  > that people have been able to run things with pygame and
>  > dga.
>  >
>  > i believe the usual way it works is to set the environment
>  > variable "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dga", then run the game as root.
>  >

> I can confirm that dga works, at least with my setup - I've been
> running with dga graphics for several months now without any problems.
>
> I'll echo what Pete said - 'export SDL_VIDEODRIVER="dga"' is what you
> want to do, and you want to run as root. Make sure that the extmod
> extension is loading itself into X properly - check your X log for any
> warnings or error messages.  Make sure you're using the latest
> versions of any appropriate software.
>
> My setup:
>
> XFree 4.1.0
> SDL 1.2
> Voodoo 3
>
> --
> My high school guidance councellor once told me that I have a very short
> attention span. The following day we were given the results of our career
> placement tests. Mine said that I was going to die. My career placement
> test was inaccurate. Turns out it's the other way around.      -MG

Michael Teo <michaelteo@bigfoot.com>
http://miketeo.net/
PGP  0x6C846A9C  DB:7D:51:D4:4D:AB:97:79:E4:68:D9:07:94:36:D5:1A:6C:84:6A:9C
     0x6937FB05  08:50:A1:4D:2E:45:58:60:DE:71:1F:30:63:54:EF:7B

----- End forwarded message -----