Re: [pygame] PyKyra

VincePlatt@attbi.com wrote:
> Hey, just out of curiosity, has anyone here tried the PyKyra package
> (http://www.alobbs.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=pykyra&file=index).
>  If so, how did it compare features-wise and performance-wise to PyGame?

i was recently checking out the kyra sprite engine. one of the best
thing it has is the ability to use opengl to render all the sprites.
this gives a lot of quick rendering for transparent sprites and such.

kyra is a sprite/simple-game engine that runs on SDL. it is set up
so that all sprites are stored in a "hierarchy". so by
moving/scaling a parent sprite, all it's children move/scale with it
(move and scale only, no rotations).

the sprites in kyra are xml datafiles with all the information
related to separate images. for regular C++ programs, there is a
converter for this XML data into C headers, so you can #include your
sprite hierarchy. i haven't looked at pykyra at all, but i'm sure it
does something similar. (but i wonder how much more effective it is
than simply using python classes?)

anyways, that was what i gathered from my quick browsing of kyra. it
seems pretty neat, but i didn't get a chance to look at any real
code using it. it is definitely higher-level than pygame, but i'm
not sure how flexible it all is?