Re: [pygame] side scroller

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Pete Shinners wrote:

> getting the absolute best graphics mode is a little tricky
> for cross platforms. you might be best off just picking a
> target (like windows) for now and later seeing if you can
> change things to also run quick on other platforms.

That sounds like a great plan to me. My only linux boxes are
my hosting servers, and I don't own a mac, so I only get
graphics on windows anyway. :)

> > What other options do I have besides "the way you are
> > managing graphics now"?
>
> tiles are definitely they way people do sidescroller
> games. your plan to do fullscreen pages might work ok, but
> i think you will end up with a big collection of them, and
> start to hit memory limits if the levels get large.

Huh! I'd figured that one big image would be quicker
than a bunch of smaller images, but I never tested it out.
I'll have to try tiling in the next version. Thanks!

> > I think this can be solved by making two invisible
> > sprites, each one pixel tall and as wide as the hero.
> > One rides around on his head, the other on his feet.
> > What do you think?
>
> well i'd write your own collision stuff instead of
> hijacking the pygame sprite collision stuff with invisible
> sprites. but yeah, it seems the way to do it is check
> edges of the sprites for collisions.

Yeah, but I'm lazy... :) I'll see how far I can get with the
stuff that's already there before I implement my own.

Cheers,

- Michal   http://www.sabren.net/   sabren@manifestation.com