[pygame] Volume control with mixer.music.set_volume affected by xmms

Hi,

This is again in relationship to a snooze program which I've
written.  I have it working well now thanks to help from here.
However, there is a (hopefully) small problem:

In my snooze program, I set the volume at which things will be
played using the mixer.music.set_volume() function. However, if
someone on the same machine uses xmms (the player) and changes
the volume in that application, the next time I call
mixer.music.set_volume() with the same number and play the same
piece, the actual volume at which the music plays differs.

I guess that xmms actually affects some system level volume which
comes after the volume which mixer.music.set_volume() sets. This
could be a problem if I use xmms at a high volume and then the
snooze program wakes me up with some LOUD sounds the next morning
:) Is there some way in which I can enforce a given volume
entirely from within pygame. I don't mind a solution which needs
some operating level command.

My OS is the latest Kubuntu release (installed it only a few days
ago).

Thank you,
Regards
--