Re: [pygame] flip() and opengl

David writes:

  | What does the flip() function do exactly, in OpenGL mode?

flip() toggles the buffer but on _some_ OS's it also _waits_ until the
screen is being displayed.

On windows, the _max_ fps I can get is 75 because thats
what my monitor operates at and opengl's flip() waits until the
monitor is displaying the buffer i just flipped to.

On unix, the same code can get 200+ because it doesnt wait for
the montior to display (but my monitor still works at only 75 fps,
so those extra updates dont get me anything). (Except maybe glitches
if I flip mid frame.)

Check out page 22 of the red book, "The Refresh that Pauses".

--
 / `Rev Dr'   cam  at darkqueen.org            Roleplaying, virtual goth \
<   http://darkqueen.org        Poly, *nix, Python, C/C++, genetics, ATM  >