[pygame] flip() and opengl

What does the flip() function do exactly, in OpenGL mode?

I have been doing some profiling of variations on a simple script, and the time taken by flip can vary from 0 (too small to measure) to 35 ms per call.

flip() must do more than just change a hardware register indicating which buffer to display.  I assume there are finalizing operations to be done before toggling the buffers.  Is there documentation somewhere on what exactly is being done?

Knowing what is taking the 35 ms would help in optimizing.

Thanks
David