[pygame] Pygame and XGL/AIGLX

Hi all,

I have been playing with my development system recently, and despite the
stupidly bad integrated graphics chip (Thanks Intel!) I thought I'd
checkout XGL and AIGLX with Compiz.
For those who dont know, it's the OpenGL enhanced X Server, implemented
alternatively by Novel and Redhat, and with the Compiz window manager,
allows for all sorts of funky effects on your desktop.
Anyway, getting to the point.  One of the main reasons for people
wanting to use it on Linux is that it gives real transparency at the
Window Manager level.

This appears to have shown up what I think is a pygame bug where the
whole pygame screen is translucent.  I have to open a black console and
move the window over it to see everything properly.
I've put up some example screenshots on my webserver at
http://www.mibgames.co.uk/trans.html

This seems to cover a wide variety of other applications too, include
Phils Game Utilities, Shadows.py and pygame-console (as a randomly
selected selection from the pygame.org sidebar)
Interestingly, Nelly's Rooftop Garden doesn't have this problem, but
does now exhibit a serious flicker when playing which it didn't before.

I'm totally lost as to what might be causing it and why some things dont
seem to have the translucency.  For exmaple the pygame-console
application is not translucent where the actual console is, only where
the drawing area is.  In my application, the start intro doesn't have
that problem, but I'm manually blitting full screen images and calling
flip() which I don't in my actual game.

I hope that helps someone have a look, as I said I don't really know
where to start looking, so I hope that some of this information is able
to help someone else to spot it, or to see if I'm doing something wrong.