Re: [pygame] Dead display surfaces

Well, I've done a lot more testing, including replacing my classes with stubs to see what is causing my Dead Display.

For some reason, commenting out the following line inside my main loop seems to solve my problem:
clock.tick(FRAME_RATE)
(where clock is a pygame.time.Clock() object and FRAME_RATE = 16)

My program is a complicated game, with a lot of blits, updates and a few flips, often between frames. Is it possible that if the screen receives lots of blits between clock ticks that pygame might kill the display?

On 25/09/06, Pete Shinners <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 15:17 +1000, Luke Miller wrote:
> What is a "Dead Display" surface in pygame, and what might cause it?

I think the only thing that should cause it is calling
pygame.display.quit () or pygame.quit() and then accessing the Surface
for the screen. Presumably some error condition could cause this, but I
can't think of anything that should.

>>> import pygame
>>> pygame.display.init ()
>>> screen = pygame.display.set_mode((100, 100))
>>> pygame.event.pump()
>>> print screen
<Surface(100x100x32 SW)>
>>> pygame.display.quit()