Re: [pygame] Just bought Python in a Nutshell

In a message of Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:04:36 MDT, Kevin writes:
>------=_Part_795_6873319.1189746276625
>
>I haven't read this book, but I'm usually wary of the "nutshell" type boo
>ks
>or "learn some language in 7 days!" type books. Just make sure you check
>out
>the Tutorial on python.org because that is very thorough, and the book mi
>ght
>just teach some neater things Python can do that you might not instantly
>see
>in the tutorial--such as GUI stuff. (I know of one book out there that ta
>lks
>about image manipulation in Python, but that might have been a book on
>Jython...)

Ah, what you don't know is that this book is written by Alex Martelli.
Alex is known for his long-winded and extremely comprehensive explanations
of _everything_.  So we all joked that if this is a 'nutshell' -- well,
it must be a coconut. :-)

Indeed, if you don't like this book it is most likely because you
prefer your reference books shorter, and terser.  If so, I would buy
Beazley's latest _Essential Python Reference_ -- picture here:
http://www.adlibris.se/product.aspx?isbn=0672328623 -- this is the
third edition which will bring you to Python 2.4

I like it best of all the python documentation, and better than the
online manual.  But  I like terse.

Laura