Re: [pygame] Pygame performance on Linux?

On 9/24/07, Ethan Glasser-Camp <glasse@xxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

altern wrote:
> I get 140 fps on a P4 1700 with Rene's script. I have an ATI Radeon 8500
> with hardware acceleration. To know if you get hardware acceleration
> just run "glxinfo" command and see if you get somewhere "direct
> rendering: Yes"

Does SDL use DRI, even for 2d graphics? My understanding was that DRI
was only for 3d stuff like OpenGL.

Unless something changed recently DRI is only for opengl acceleration. There is
(was?) an opengl backend to SDL, glSDL ( http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~marchesin/sdl/glsdl.html ).
With this backend you get hardware accelerated alpha blits, and it's is fast has hell.
However, I don't think this is included in the standard sdl distribution.

The "old" way of getting hardware acceleration in linux is to use DGA, which only works
in fullscreen and which has other problems. It also doesn't accelerate alpha blits..

Regards,
Ulf