Re: [pygame] EXE: Narrowing Down the Problem

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:10:06 +0100, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> did you read the previous reply to your post?  There's a link in there
> to a working setup.py for python2.6 + pygame.
>
> cheers,

Yes, thanks. The link to
<http://blog.thadeusb.com/2009/04/15/pygame-font-and-py2exe/>.

I tried the advice at the top of that page -- copying DLLs -- and that
didn't help. I tried the setup.py and that crashed. “can’t copy
‘installer.nsi’: doesn’t exist or not a regular file”. Odd
considering that installer.nsi isn't on the computer at all. I even got a
Tkinter warning at some point in running that, which is doubly odd because
I don't use Tkinter in my code, haven't used it since installing Python,
and deleted the build directory from previous attempts at this. I tried
asking around on a forum as well, but the advice consisted of that same
link.

This is all with a minimal Pygame program, with a freshly installed copy of
Python, Pygame and Py2EXE, on two different computers, one of which has
built EXEs fine before. And I did manage (when experimenting on the other
last night) to make an EXE if I hacked the entire widget interface out of
my program to eliminate font module references.

Could it be that I'm doing something wrong with the basic steps involved?
-Copy the .py files used in the program to C:\Python26
-Have a setup.py in that directory too
-Open a command prompt and go to C:\Python26
-Type "python setup.py py2exe"
-Go to C:\Python26\dist
-Copy relevant graphics &c. directories into C:\Python26\dist; N/A for test
program
-Type the program's name as an EXE
-Copy *.dll from C:\Python26\libs\site-packages\pygame when that doesn't
work, along with freesansbold.ttf, and try again.

Or could there be some interference caused by other software on my laptop
*and* on a just-bought netbook? I'm trying to find an explanation here as
to whether I'm doing something basically wrong in the process of building
this, or whether I'm genuinely running the same software with the same
commands and getting a completely different result from everyone else.