[pygame] Playing MP3 with SDL_mixer 1.2 using libmpg123

Hi everyone,

I have taken the last couple of weeks to prepare a patch to SDL_mixer 1.2 that replaces SMPEG and the MAD library with libmpg123 as the MPEG decoder. The SDL_mixer interface to SMPEG is simply broken, and has probably been removed from SDL_mixer 2 by now. Also, I have read criticisms of SMPEG's ability to handle MP3 music files. The MAD library is GPL licensed, which is incompatible with Pygame's LGPL license, or so I have been lead to understand. The mpg123 library is LGPL, and appears to support many MP3 flavors.

The patch is available at https://bitbucket.org/llindstrom/sdl_mixer-1.2-patches/overview . I intend to use it in the prebuilt x86 and x64 Windows binaries for Pygame 1.9.2. I will have 32-bit Pygame 1.9.2 installers out shortly for Python 3.4, and hopefully 2.7. I will also have x64 prebuilt libraries ready for download (They work on Wine 64, but are untested in an actual Pygame build on an actual x64 Windows system.)

Have fun,

Lenard Lindstrom