Re: [pygame][website] A different approach to a new website

There's a really frustrating disconnect over pygame, and especially the website: there are lots of people who are clearly have the time and ability to improve things, but they are not the ones with access to the website. The people who do have access evidently have very little time to devote to either working on it themselves, or to facilitate other people working on it. The domain name does matter - you can launch alternative sites, but as long as pygame.org exists, we're going to care about what's on it.

I have been trying to persuade René to publish the code of the existing website (https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/263/make-pygame-website-codes-public ) so other people can work on it, but so far the only bit available are some database models, which we can't do much with. I think it's fallen into the classic trap of "I'll release this when I've cleaned it up", meaning it never gets released at all.

I think the new 'hifi' front page is an interesting experiment in novel site layout, but as things stand I think it is less fit for purpose than the conventional if antiquated site it replaced. With a lot of thought and effort, I think it could be the basis of something good, but it seems unlikely that it will get that reworking in the near future.

René, if you're reading this: what would it take to connect the website with the people with time and enthusiasm to work on it? If you're willing to give me SSH access to the server it's on - or even just send me a tarball of the directory it runs from now - I'll try to figure out how it fits together and how we can allow people to make changes.

Thanks,
Thomas