Re: [school-discuss] Open Source Project

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Monte Schaff wrote:

> for open source software in a higher-ed environment. Ideally, I would like
> each faculty member to switch from their Win98/2000 desktops to Linux, and
> from MSOffice to OpenOffice or Star Office.  Also, I would like to see them
> using open source HTML editing software, as well as an open source web

Have the faculty take a survey that covers the tasks they use their
computers for. (You may find that many use Word, but don't use any of its
Word-specific features -- so can be easily replaced; or others might use
some special software that only runs under Windows.)

> browser.  In short, all software used by these faculty will be open source
> (free) software, and the PCs must have the functionality with the open
> source software as with the standard Windows load.  Further, I will need to
> set these systems up with minimal time investment from our IT department.

Then with your IT department install and test various software and then
try to decide on one choice for each application.

Before your move to Linux, consider now to begin offering alternatives:
StarOffice and AbiWord both run under Windows. (Then when you completely
move away from Windows the learning curve will be slight.)

> If implemented, my project would track the training time required for
> faculty to become familiar with all of the open source software, roadblocks
> to success, how (if) these were overcome, as well as the impacts the open
> source software has had on enhancing/impeding collaboration with the rest of
> the faculty community using Windows/Mac and MSOffice.  Also, I will need to

This would be quite interesting.

> the faculty community using Windows/Mac and MSOffice.  Also, I will need to
> complete this project with a zero dollar investment in software or hardware.

You need to make sure your hardware is compatible. Some cheap printers,
scanners and modems aren't supported.

> However, before I present my project plan, I was hoping you may be able to
> provide some insight into a project like this, especially since I am not
> familiar with Linux, or any of the other applications, and will be
> responsible for training and supporting the open source group.

You and your IT staff need to start running Linux yourselves before you
begin switching the entire faculty over :)

There is a wide range of books, websites, public forums, user groups, and
even professional consultants that can help.

> Based on the scope of my project, does this sound feasible?  Again, the only

Definitely. You should read a few articles about schools and governments
moving away from Windows to open source. The schoolforge website
has a link to some case studies that may be of interest to you.

> What type of learning curve would you anticipate for faculty familiar with
> Windows and MSOffice to move to Linux/open source software?

Very little. Software like StarOffice, gnumeric, AbiWord, and others
look and feel like Microsoft equivalents.

You can use a window manager that also behaves like (but performs better
than) Windows 98.

> If you were to implement this project with 10 individuals, would you train
> the entire group, and roll the project out with all of the members migrating
> to the open source software at the same time, or would you proceed with
> training one faculty member at a time, getting them up and running and
> comfortable with the new OS and apps, making sure all network functionality
> is available, and then proceed with the next member of the test group, and
> so on?

I would start with one person and yourself so you can get an understanding
and familiarity yourself. Then do the other nine all at once. That way you
don't waste time training nine separate times when you can do group
training together.

> What about the potential for virii, are these of much of a concern for Linux
> and open source users?

I am often paid to fix Red Hat servers that have been compromised due to
remote exploits (and worms). If they had been properly installed in the
first place and kept up with the publicized updates, they wouldn't have
had problems in the first place.

> Is there an open source mail application similar to MS Exchange that can
> “talk” to an Exchange server?

Depends on what features you use Exchange for. If all you need is POP3 and
SMTP then you have a wide variety of choices. (the other response shared
some ideas on this.)

> Is there a significant difference between Red Hat and Mandrake? I tried to

Linux is Linux is Linux ... (Or GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux is GNU/Linux.) In
other words, once it is installed and configured for the end-user (not
administrator) they are all the same. (The same goes for the BSDs too.)

> download Linux from Red Hat, and even with a cable modem, this was taking
> way to long.  Are there mirror sites that will allow for faster downloading?

The Red Hat site should list the mirrors. Use google.

> Any help, suggestions, input, and insight you may be willing to share would
> be greatly appreciated.

Debian Linux (in my professional experience) is easier to keep up-to-date
than Red Hat.

Use google's usenet search to find answers to your upcoming questions. It
is a great resource.

Use google to find lists of Linux user groups and seek help from a local
group.

Also join a Linux users mailing list.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/