[school-discuss] LessonForge started

First, an announcement; then a minor complaint.

There has been a discussion going on on the Open Source Now
mailing list sponsored by RedHat about open lesson plans licensed
in a manner similar to open source/free software.  That
discussion galvanized Matt Jezorek to start up LessonForge
<http://www.lessonforge.com/mailman/listinfo/lessonforge>.  It
looks like a very good idea, and I encourage all you teachers on
this list to take a look at the mailing list archives and see if
you can give them a hand.

Now the complaint.  We formed Schoolforge as a coalition of
groups working on getting open resources into education.  One of
the goals of the coalition is to make sure that the various
groups are kept aware of what the others are doing, so there's
not a needless duplication of efforts.  That means that when you
start talking about or working on something new you ought to
mention it here so people in other groups know about it and can
help out if they are interested.  Communication is the most
important thing here--this coalition won't work if we don't do this.

I try to mention the major things I pick up from other places,
but I"m only one person and I know I don't hear a lot of
interesting stuff that ought to be posted here.  So everyone, but
especially the representatives of Schoolforge member groups, if
you're involved in some interesting new discussion or new
initiative, tell us about it here!  If everyone's listening but
just a few are talking, we're all the poorer for it.

You representatives of member groups, please consider making a
regular post (weekly, biweekly, monthly, whatever works for you)
to the schoolforge-discuss mailing list about what your
organization is doing.  I promise, we'll all be interested, and
we may find unexpected common efforts that we can fruitfully
collaborate on!

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--