[school-discuss] I4U news about future technology, gizmos and gadgets - i4u.com

http://www.i4u.com/

hello,

this link (at the top of the page) is for a $139 cd organizer that lets the
librarian lend cds out and put them back into any tray without losing track
of anything.  it holds 75 cds - i know for a fact i can fit all +10,000
documents in the gutenberg collection into this unit as audio, .txt and .pdf.
it is a stand alone unit - no computer required.

we are going to use this.
if it goes out of production, we will build a replacement.

our cds have this indexing scenario :

iso9660 header -
note - all indexing info is std. linux asci character

volume id - 64 characters
publisher id - what about this ?
preparer id : i would like to use a confirmed e-mail address.
abstract information (i would like to hold this to 320 chars. (4X80 on a
terminal).
bibliographic information - what about this ?
copyright info. - gutenberg lic. here -- can it be a http:// link to the full
text, which is actually not stored on the cd ? or can it be on another cd in
the unit ? or must it be embedded in every file containing "product" ?

note that gutenberg and UCLA personnel have been copied.

librarians out there, how do we use these fields ?

mike eschman, etc...
"Not just an afterthought ...
http://www.engima.com