Re: [school-discuss] Name change and Name Ideas needed

> Hiya guys,
>
>   I am looking for ideas here. Blue Linux as a name is going to have to
>
> be changed here is why. I can not afford to get a trademark currently
> on  Blue Linux its pretty expensive for a very small non-profit
> organisation  right now.
>
>   I also can not afford to protect the name. Back when I first started
> Blue Linux i tried to register bluelinux.org, bluelinux.com, and
> bluelinux.net. However I was only able to get .org. I have tried almost
>  daily to grab the other domains as they expire. I lost at this battle.
>  BlueLinux.com was snatched up in January by a company called CPi Sites
>  they own http://www.urlcollector.com/. I tried to make an offer to buy
> the  domain at what I feel is a fair price. I was denied and told that
> I had to  purchase it for $650 dollars US. I can not afford this. In
> the process  they told me they where going to complete the sale to a
> company in Tokyo  for $500.00 US. I can not compete I dont have the
> budget. Now it apears  that if I owned a trademark on Blue Linux I
> could then chase down and get  the domain of course they said the only
> way I could get it with a  trademark from them is for them to charge me
> a "Surrender Fee" of 562.00  US. Here is where I can not protect the
> name. Why would a company in Tokyo  buy "bluelinux.com" unless they
> where intending on providing
> software/services or a product under the Blue Linux name. While I could
>  stop a trademark with the prior art clause. I can not stop them from
> using  the domain name to release a product either competing with me or
> against  me or however you want to say it. I dont mind competition but
> I dont want  competition because of a .org or .com typo. So we feel it
> would probably  be best to change names.
>
> We are looking for ideas on the new name. We will provide credit to the
>  naming party. Any ideas are welcome please feel free to visit our site
> for  information about us so you can get a better idea on the naming
> schema.
>
> Please help out!
>
> --
> Matt Jezorek

I would wait and see if anything ever springs up at bluelinux.com first.  I
bet that bluelinux.org will still be the only bluelinux listed at lwn.net
for quite a while.  If something does spring up with a bunch of hoopla, you
can use your name change for a bunch of publicity at the expense of the
other guys.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller