Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

Kyle,

>Someone here asked what applications are keeping us from switching
>desktops. For me the answer is:
>1) Accelerated Reader
>2) KidPix
>3) Lots of 'edutainment' stuff, particularly those from Davidson,
>Sunburst, Knowledge Adventure (JumpStart), and (like it or not)
>Microsoft (Magic School Bus).
>4) Even if all these were addressed, I'm not sure we would still be

>able to completely switch (particularly at the High School), since
>we serve as our own "vocational education" service and I have some
>parents already questioning why we're using Corel instead of
>Microsoft and naturally "that's what they'll see in 'the real
>world'".

Have you tried WINE?  Tux Typing... there's so much stuff.

What is 'Accerlated Reader'?  I don't know anyone who's used, let
alone needed, such a thing.

As for those parents, try to get across to them that brandnames
don't mean a thing.  John West sardines aren't as good, in my
opinion, than many other brands.  For goodness sake, its just a word
processor.  Is there anything magical about MS as oposed to Corel or
Sun?

Next thing, these parents will be asking what brand of processor the
kids are using... is it IBM... Intel... AMD... Motorolla.  Which one
will they be using in the workplace?  Most likely Intel, but quite
likely not.

Dan.