Re: [school-discuss] How to present Linux to schools

On 26 Apr 2002 at 7:59, Daniel Carter wrote:
> Have you tried WINE?  Tux Typing... there's so much stuff.

Yup. Most of these programs use their own custom DLL's.

> What is 'Accerlated Reader'?  I don't know anyone who's used, let
> alone needed, such a thing.

Hint: don't criticize what you don't know. I have pretty thick skin,
but I know a lot of people who would be completely turned off to
linux if I had that kind of attitude.

http://www.renlearn.com/ar/

A true gem of software - not only in concept, but in implementation
as well. There's nothing really mysterious about it (in fact, the
interface and database could probably be coded in a couple of days),
but their database of grade-level appropriate books, and
comprehension testing is amazing.

> As for those parents, try to get across to them that brandnames
> don't mean a thing.  John West sardines aren't as good, in my
> opinion, than many other brands.  For goodness sake, its just a
word
> processor.  Is there anything magical about MS as oposed to Corel
or
> Sun?

Refer to the question I asked in my last message about disadvantages
now vs. advantages later.

> Next thing, these parents will be asking what brand of processor
the
> kids are using... is it IBM... Intel... AMD... Motorolla.  Which
one
> will they be using in the workplace?  Most likely Intel, but quite

> likely not.

No, because they're worried about their kids getting jobs. They'll
only start asking these questions when employers start asking them.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323

smyle@rockcreekschools.org                              785-494-8591

Actually I am a laboratory mouse posing as an engineer as part of an

               elaborate plot to take over the world