Re: [school-discuss] Proposal for Schoolforge

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 19:39, Jonathan Hughes wrote:

> What I am looking at is having some way that people can share the
> resources that others have taken the time to produce. These resources
> include anything from lesson plans used to teach computer classes with
> Open Source tools to financial documents that detail how much money they
> have saved using Linux to writing up HOWTOs for common Linux and Open
> Source based computer setups. I would like people to know about the
> Linux In Education Portal because it is so good for people just starting
> out looking at using Linux and I am sure that other people have taken
> their time to produce some meaningful product that the Open Source in
> education community can use. How can we get this information out to
> people, how do we share information between SchoolForge groups? Isn't
> this one of the purposes of SchoolForge to be an organization that
> facilities the sharing of resources...what is SchoolForge doing to make
> this happen? Are we looking for new ideas?

These are important questions.  When we formed Schoolforge we hoped it
would foster communication between the member groups for many of the
reasons Jonathan mentions.  I'm not sure that's really happening,
though.  Jonathan, you should post your message to the schoolforge-core
mailing list too.  I think there are member representatives on that list
that aren't on this one.  I know that some of our member organizations
don't seem very interested in participating in our stated Schoolforge
goals, at least from the requests for unsubscription we get whenever we
send messages to the schoolforge-core mailing list (That's a list made
up of the representatives of the member organizations; it's for the
management of Schoolforge itself.  It's not heavily used.).  If we can
come up with some way of encouraging and facilitating communication and
cooperation between these groups, I think we will be well-served.

David's Schoolforge News-Journal website <http://news.schoolforge.net>
could be a major part of what we need here.  It's currently not being
used to anywhere near its full potential.  Perhaps we need to urge the
member organizations to make greater use of it.  It should become
something of a hub for Schoolforge activities.  Right now, Schoolforge
exists mainly as this mailing list.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss              All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net      ignorance and confidence,
                       and then success is sure.
                         Mark Twain