[school-discuss] Re: Linux Terminal Server

on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:46:31AM -0500, Jason Yeoman (jyeoman@bhncdsb.edu.on.ca) wrote:
> ***********************
> No virus was detected in the attachment no filename
>
> Your mail has been scanned by the BHNCDSB InterScan MSS.
> ***********-***********
>

> Hi Emilio,
>
> We have been beta testing the K-12 Linux Terminal server project and it's
> very simple to setup.  The web site is http://www.k12ltsp.org/
>
> Once you download the CD's you simply install on a server (the more ram
> and higher processor speed the better).  It sounds like you need boot
> disks which are included with the server.  The website has support and
> documentation.

Does anyone have current server recommendations?  The existing docs are
from the 2000 timeframe.  Or 1.5 Moore's epochs ago.  Which would argue
for about 1-2 GiB and 1.7 - 3.4 GHz on a 4-5 spindle RAID5 filesystem,
if my ballpark is accurate.

I'm looking at a server for 10-30 clients (growing out the system).

I'm also curious if anyone's successfully used iMacs as clients on an
LTSP network.

Peace.

   Hollings:  bought, paid for, but couldn't deliver the CBDTPA:
     http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html