[school-discuss] Re: Re: Linux Terminal Server

on Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:45:41PM -0700, Dennis Daniels (ddaniels@magic.fr) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:46:31AM -0500, Jason Yeoman
> > (jyeoman@bhncdsb.edu.on.ca) wrote:

> > Does anyone have current server recommendations?  The existing docs are
> > from the 2000 timeframe.  Or 1.5 Moore's epochs ago.  Which would argue
> > for about 1-2 GiB and 1.7 - 3.4 GHz on a 4-5 spindle RAID5 filesystem,
> > if my ballpark is accurate.
> >
> > I'm looking at a server for 10-30 clients (growing out the system).
> >
> > I'm also curious if anyone's successfully used iMacs as clients on an
> > LTSP network.

> This question is best answered on the k12OSN newslist
> k12osn@redhat.com
>
> I can say that I'm using k12ltsp. I'm running a 1.5 ghz chip /1.5 gigs
> RAM with a 160 SCSI. I've got 25+ clients on a 10/100 switched
> network.  OOo and firefox work without a hitch using icewm.
>
> A fellow LUGite and I put the whole thing together with donations for
> less than $800. Knowing what I know now, the whole thing could have
> been done for less.
>
> The k12osn list is swarming with people looking for specs on what to
> buy. Few talk about how to do networks on the cheap... sadly.

What would you recommend then, for "networks on the cheap"?

I've got most of a 1000' spool of Cat5e in the garage, RJ45s, and a
crimping tool, which cuts the cost of cabling.  10/100 switches are
bloody cheap as are NICs, and I'm starting to look at the Gig-e stuff as
affordable.

Otherwise, I'm a firm believer in enough RAM to keep your feet from
dragging (or disk swapping), fast disk (RAID and/or SCSI if possible),
and a reasonably fast, but not blazing, CPU (too much buck, not much
bang).  That's been my mantra for years, and I see no reason to change
it.  Definitely not a heck of a lot of emphasis on CPU.

The refs I've seen suggest that dual CPU boxes can experience sync drift
over time, leading to problems.  Anyone here have recent experience one
way or the other with this?

Peace.

   Kudos to Gateway's Digital Music Campaing & stand against the RIAA.
     http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/music/dmz.shtml