Re: [school-discuss] razor and qt - lightweight applications.

----- "LM" <lmemsm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In searching for lightweight applications...

Razor QT looks like an interesting start up project.

As an school district technician that manages several thousand diskless linux clients I'm always looking for ideas to optimize performance without sacrificing features/eye-candy.  I've found this page very useful:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Maximizing_Performance

See "Light and Fast Applications Awards 2007-2011.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Maximizing_Performance#The_first_thing_to_do

Here are some desktop environment memory usage stats - less RAM also corresponds to faster startup times and more ram for apps.
Desktop              MEM Used MB used - cache
mint 12 lxde          97
debian lenny kde3.5  123
xfce ubuntu 12.04    126
ubuntu gnome3 12.04  135
mint 12 gnome        151
ubuntu unity 12.04   330
kubuntu 12.04        345

The above is memory Used - Cache.  So using some Arch tips Kubuntu 12.04 failed to log in on a diskless workstation limited to 512MB of RAM - however using compressed zram swap device it would run without crashing - It could also fire up OpenOffice and Firefox.

Laptops with slow disks greatly improve with squashfs /usr partition.  However diskless squashfs over NBD did not show any impovements when compared to standard NFS.

--
Dean Montgomery
Network Support Tech./Programmer

###