From: Micah Quinn
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
Sent: 8/19/03 11:15 PM
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Web-based School Administration...

Thanks Tom/Dave,

My company does consulting/programming as well and we always put open
source first.  Right now I'm considering only open source options
becuase whatever solution we implement will most likely have to be
extended to support their specifics.

The school is a small, private school with a single campus and only a
few hundred students.  They have a very small budget for this project.

Thanks for the links to other options.  They provide me with some good
ideas for features that we should be looking for.

So back to the point,  anyone know of any good open source packages for
SIS or school administration?

<mquinn@quinnteam.com>

>>> web
>>> sites.  I've evaluated several of the applications and found only a
>>> couple to be really up to speed for production use.
>>>
>>> NOTE:  My notes/comments regarding the following applications are
not
>>> intended to offend the developers/supporters of those applications.
>>> It's simply my naive comments based on only a couple of hours of
>>> research.  Apologies in advance for anything mis-stated.  :-)
>>>
>>> I've currently looked at:
>>>
>>>    * OpenAdminForSchool - The demo shows a very rough interface and
>>>      very few complete features.
>>>    * DistrictDNA - Install was complicated and it's not a web-based
>>>      application.
>>>    * Educational Information System - Nothing but a framework so
far;
>>>      nothing really usable yet.  Looks like some great goals though.
>>>    * Ionia Student - In planning stages
>>>    * LISSARD - Again, some nice ideas, but mostly boilerplate for
more
>>>      complete features in the future.
>>>    * MainBrain - Really nice commercial application, but I've no
idea
>>>      of the pricing.  It looks like expensive software.
>>>    * SchoolMation - Very nice software and extremely reasonable in
>>>      pricing.  Anyone out there used this?
>>>    * MyPHPSchool - Again, fairly incomplete and no real examples to
>>> demo.
>>>    * OpenSIS - Sounds promising, but the site "opensis.org" is down.
>>>      Anyone use this?
>>>    * OpenUSS - Has some outstanding looking concepts for making
>>>      material available, but doesn't seem to encompass
administration
>>>      tasks. (Grades, student info, etc.)
>>>
>>> Anyways, you get the idea.  Is anyone on this list currently using
>>> web-based software that is of production quality and will do some or

>>> all
>>> of the following:
>>>
>>> 1.  Student Information (name, age, address, phone, parents,
>>> photograph,
>>> etc.)
>>> 2.  Grade Tracking  (Transcripts, report cards, class averages,
etc.)
>>> 3.  Attendance Tracking
>>> 4.  Emergency Contact Information
>>> 5.  Course Tracking