RE: [school-discuss] Web-based School Administration...

A few reasons why web-based is such as growing trend in all sorts of
management systems:

2 minutes per machine is optimistic. Even allowing the 2 minutes; on 1000
workstations that's over 30 hours work - take in the travel time (that's
over 15 sites) and you're probably looking at 4 days every time you need to
update the software (bear in mind in the UK and other countries the data
requirements for a school are set nationally and tend to change annually).

Desktop software is prone to hitting compatibility problems which will
probably raise the 2 minutes average considerably.

If there's no external access from the school, that means every site has to
have a server at considerable cost in both capital and time.

We have a number of database driven applications; the ones that are needed
to be available "off-site" have the DB separated from the webserver proper.
Our central server site is firewalled (EAL4+ certified), and utilises
proxies to access individual services on individual servers. Even if the
webserver is hacked (unlikely if you keep up to date and a real challenge
through the firewall), the DB is still secure. The data is not interesting
enough to attract the serious crackers anyway.

Powerful servers are just not expensive anymore - a dual Xeon with 3Gb RAM
costs less than GBP3000 and will serve thousands of web-clients happily.

And then we get to home access. In the EU it is required that employers make
provision to enable home-working. This can either be web-client or VPN
tunnels. Which is easier? Which cheaper? Further in the UK it is a
requirement to make information regarding the child available to the
"responsible adult", to facilitate their involvement in the learning
process. While email is a good and useful way to provide alerts, it doesn't
make a good way to review the childs aspirations, ongoing improvements and
realtime results.

All in all, the desktop client in this context is best limited as much as
possible - preferably tto major number crunching exercises such as timetable
generation and custom reports. For everything else the web enablement
provides great advantages.

Cheers

Chris