[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] archive of posts

Pamela McLean wrote:
Please  - if you  are going to address the problem of  "With an email
forum poor folks on slow dialup lines must be suffering horribly." don't
limit yourself to a solution for this list only.  Lists are such a great
way of sharing information, but I am always reluctant to recommend them
to my contacts in Nigeria because of the huge costs they will face in
accepting the postings. Also there is the problem of mailboxes
overflowing, and then important mails bounce back.
Some possible tech fixes:
Digest mode for busy lists (decreases frequency but doesn't cut back
much on size).
Limit size of messages
Content filtering (e.g. no HTML, attachments).

These are all settings Mailman, the list management system we use, has.

It might also be possible to use something else for communication, e.g.
a newsgroup or a bulletin board system. We use a commercial product
(BSCW) that sends summaries of new activities.

--
Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse, Chair
Department of Computer Science