Re: [school-discuss] New Hardware

I'm holding out for the quad-core Opteron as it will have the same power
requirements of the dual core (which had the same as the single core).

Yes, a quad core is a nice thing :) A simple Fedora or Ubuntu disk can
exorcise that vista virus off the drive.

Of course quad core with 3 GB RAM is about the minimum needed to have a
Vista box run as fast as a 5 year old W2K machine :) (or a 10 year old
Mac!)

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 17:36 -0700, Joel Kahn wrote:
> Recently, my father-in-law got himself a new computer.
> The machine has--among *many* other goodies--a quad-core
> processor and three gigabytes of RAM. Yes, you read that
> correctly. The box came preloaded with Windows Vista
> Ultimate. I'm thinking that this monster PC would have
> a great deal of potential for FLOSS experimentation,
> and he seems to be prepared to at least discuss this.
> I'm open to suggestions from any interested parties.
>
> Joel

> that gives answers, not web links.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering