Re: [school-discuss] software list? materials? homeschooling?

On 8/20/07, Jeremy C. Reed <reed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The http://www.schoolforge.net/ webpage has "Education Software". I
clicked "All Software" and saw the compression/file archiver.

Is it schoolforge's goal to keep a list of all software that can be used
in one way or another by a school (teacher/student/technology staff)?

I think that it might be a waste of your resources to attempt to catalog
all software like this and to just point website users to other existing
software lists.

But schoolforge should still catalog software that is specific to
education such as the list at
http://www.schoolforge.net/education-software/educational or
http://www.schoolforge.net/education-software/web-based

I tried to figure out what was 'specific to education' when I started working on the software list.  It seemed like trying to figure that out was harder than actually writing the software catalogs :)  It seems like we have a pretty good set up, Richard Houston and his project WinOSS CDRom has a lot of great software that is compatible to many of the users that visit SchoolForge looking for education software.  He does a lot of the updating and organizing of the software listings and it benefits both projects - so I don't see this as too much of a waste.

Also the "What is Schoolforge" webpage says the foundry provides
information and materials. This makes me think of courseware, textbooks,
handouts, and curriculum. But I can't find anything like that. Does it
exist? Please point me to it.

In particular, I am looking for "open" courseware, textbooks, handouts,
and curriculum that can be used for homeschooling. What resources does
schoolforge currently provide?

And what resources can schoolforge provide in the future?

There is a lot SchoolForge could provide that it doesn't, currently.  I can't offer too much of a brainstorm on this right now, my time is still pretty limited (at the moment) but please expand on the wiki ideas and what info you would be looking for, and could populate.  There are probably projects out there that could benefit from this.