Re: [school-discuss] software to record Internet addresses accessed?

> I plan to assign static IPs to all of the computers in my
> lab.  Is there software I can use to see all of the Internet
> addresses each IP accesses?
>
> It's called DHCP, and you can assign each ethernet card its own
> static address based on its hardware MAC address.
>
> One really doesn't want to mimic that by hand.

DHCP = for assigning static IP's.

Proxy = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Basically, the proxy is software that sits between computers and the
internet, that could provide the internet addresses that each IP accesses.

To tell Firefox to use the proxy to route web requests
Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Network (tab) -> In Connection box click
the settings button -> Manual proxy configuration (there is an auto
setting too, but I don't know how you would do that.)

Something like Privoxy http://www.privoxy.org/ (As the Proxy server)
might work.

I took a quick glance at the documentation, it looks like there is web
based config for Privoxy, and customizable actions in config files that
tell it how to handle the incoming requests (this might be where you
would look to assign a logging action to record the URL's)

The other trick would be making sure that some adventurous student
doesn't turn off the proxy at the browser level to bypass it all
together.  This could probably be accomplished through a couple
router/firewall settings.

You should also review any district/state/country rules and laws
applicable to monitoring and storing logs of accessed websites.  In some
places, notification/consent is required.  There also might be laws
regarding storing the data and how long it can be/has to be retained.