Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Update

thanks for this Joel

The more I learn about OLPC the more I love it...
What interests me here is the point on establishing  servers --
"If schools install servers, pupils can access school study information and chat to each other in a radius of a kilometre (half a mile), without having to connect to the Internet."

Regardless of the computer connected to the server, yet the XO seems to offer a superior method through Mesh technologies --  it seems that what can change learning is access to large deposits of information...   with a fast paced growth in open access multi-media materials it seems we can push forward ideas to set up national databases of materials freely available to students.

Take for instance even Wikipedia...  language issues beside...   at some 20 gb it is very plausible to cache the entire database locally to form a sizeable information resource...    amazing what can be stored in a terabyte at some $500....

Cheers

John "Tim" Denny, Ph.D.
Advisor- International Development, Education and ICT
Executive Director, PC4peace http://www.pc4peace.org
Advisory Board, Masters of Development Studies -RUPP
International Journal of Multicultural Education, Electronic Green Journal
http://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/drjtdenny
Join Cambodia Joomla! Users group - http://groups.google.com/jugcam

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler