Re: [school-discuss] Spreading LTSP over multiple servers?

ipaterson@shaw.ca wrote:
Has anyone had any hands on experience using LTSP with multiple servers?
What with the power of modern desktop machines, it's becoming much more
plausible to have a pair of 1.2Ghz with oodles of RAM rather than a
Quad-Althon SpaceHeater, but I'm curious if there are issues that would
negate the cost benefit of doing this.

From my understanding, oodles of RAM may not help. For example, if your CPU has 128 MB of L2 cache, I'm under the impression that it stops using RAM at 128 MB. I may be completely inaccurate about that but my tests indicate that you'll see diminishing returns.

I also understand that you can build a small GRID (Globus Tool Kit) http://www.globus.org/ has provided significant power to Linux Terminal Servers. But, that's hearsay. My experiments have been limited to building the grid and running jobs from multiple work stations.