[school-discuss] Re: Wiki spam: one possible solution

on Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 05:20:56PM +0100, Pau Cabot (paucabot@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi to everybody and thanks for your responses,
>
> There is an easy way to prevent wiki spam on Phpwiki without enabling
> user authentication:
> Edit /etc/phpwiki/index.php and set ALLOW_BOGO_LOGIN and
> REQUIRE_SIGNIN_BEFORE_EDIT to true.
> This way, users must register (using whatever username) but they don't
> have to introduce a password. This stops spam robots.

There's a surprising amount of non-robot spam.

... or robots smart enough to use commonly-found Wiki authentication and
registration schemes.

Blocklisting mechanisms are finding their way into most current Wiki
engines.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    Compiling from source / is an adventure as well. /  What crap code that is.