Re: [school-discuss] physics courses under FLOSS

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 20:00 +0100, roberto wrote:
> hello
> i am preparing a little project for high school students to teach some
> basic knowledge of fundamental physics (mechanics, thermodinamics,
> electromagnetism, relativity etc)
> the project is 8-month long, as long as a real course actually since i
> am going to co-work with a teacher
>
> is there anyone who has successfully used FLOSS software to better
> develop physics teaching ?
> if so, what software ?

Somewhere buried in my archives is a web-based physics lab notebook I
wrote while at Emory University. It presents to the students a simple
step-by-step process of performing a physics lab and recording data,
observations and results. It has a spreadsheet with calculations and
graphing and curve fitting. It is written in perl and requires nothing
on the client end but a browser. The admin tools were never finished (I
left the school) so it's a bit clunky around the edges.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll put it up on my web server.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>