Re: [school-discuss] physics courses under FLOSS

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 08:56 +0100, roberto wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 1:05 AM, James P. Kinney III
> <jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 20:00 +0100, roberto wrote:
> > > hello
> > > i am preparing a little project for high school students to teach some
> > > basic knowledge of fundamental physics (mechanics, thermodinamics,
> > > electromagnetism, relativity etc)
> >
> > Somewhere buried in my archives is a web-based physics lab notebook I
> > wrote while at Emory University. It presents to the students a simple
> > step-by-step process of performing a physics lab and recording data,
> > observations and results. It has a spreadsheet with calculations and
> > graphing and curve fitting. It is written in perl and requires nothing
> > on the client end but a browser. The admin tools were never finished (I
> > left the school) so it's a bit clunky around the edges.
> >
> > Let me know if you are interested and I'll put it up on my web server.
>
> why not ... it souds interesting !

The package is called Weblab.pl. It's a 15kB perl script that calls
gnuplot. Please note: this was a running application for about 2 years
but it was not reworked to be administratively easy as I wrote and I ran
it :)  So there are way too many hard coded things like email addresses
and locations of files, etc.

I should probably pull this back out and dust it off but I'd be more
inclined to scrap it and start all over at this point in time.

I'm releasing it under the GPL v.3

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering