Re: [school-discuss] FLOSS on Wii?

I'll take that challenge! I've already proposed to Atlanta Public Schools and my daughter's principal and the teacher technology committee there to do just that. We were planning to buy a few projectors anyway, and all teachers now have laptops, so it seems ripe for a test. "Wiil" keep the group posted.

Actually, just to be clear, a quick search of pricing seems to indicate that in quantity you can get interactive white boards for $1100 to $1500 (latter includes Promethean's ActivStudio software, e.g.). Since you need a good projector for the Wii solution as well, from where did the $5000 number originate?

Since a Linux version has yet to be developed, I wonder how much we'd have to pay a student or consultant to develop one quickly? If the board really is $5000, seems like for that price we could get a Linux version done for us.

Best,
Daniel

Yishay Mor wrote:
so here's a new year challenge: install one in your local school and post a video on YouTube!

On 26/12/2007, *James P. Kinney III* < jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 12:05 +0000, Yishay Mor wrote:
     > Have a look at Johnny Lee's stuff. Pure genius:
     > http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

    I imagine Prometheum is quaking in their gold-plated boots over this.
    For the $5000 price of one Prometheum board, schools can get 7 complete
    Wiimote boards with the XGA projector.
    --
    James P. Kinney III
    CEO & Director of Engineering

    <jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

  Yishay Mor, Researcher, London Knowledge Lab
   http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html
   http://yishaym.wordpress.com
   https://www.linkedin.com/in/yishaymor
   http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yishaym%40gmail.com