Re: [school-discuss] Canadian Schools using Linux servers

Not a Canadian School but rather in the middle of Pennsylvania, USA, we use a
Linux server to provide ALL the network functions for the complete school.

The school is St. Theresa School, New Cumberland, PA, K-8, about 500+
students.

We have used Linux since we networked the school about 6 years ago.  The main
decision was cost and it has served us well.

Here is a brief description of what we do:

Red Hat Linux Server - Intel P-III 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 2 Software (Linux) RAID
arrays, 1 SCSI 36GB, 1 IDE 80GB.

About 100 PC's throughout the school - All Win98Se, all networked.

Services provided by the Linux server:

- Web services for the schools web site:  www.SaintTheresaSchool.org
Including both public and private calender services for the internal staff
and the external public/parents.  Web pages maintained by a volunteer "Dad"
of one of the students.  He does a great job.  All the teachers have their
own web pages that they maintain themselves.  Some update daily with
assignment info to keep the parents informed, some only update monthly or
whenever.  It all depends on the individual teacher.

- EMail services for all teachers + admin staff + a few others.  EMail
services provided via web based email using OpenWebMail (Open Source).  The
email system is great because the teachers and staff use the same interface
in the school as well as from their home because it is all web based and
served off of the same school server whether they are inside the school or
outside the school.  The web based email system, OpenWebmail, also provides a
web based WebDisk access to each users private home directory for upload or
download of their files via the browser.  This makes it easy for a teacher to
work on a project in the school and then pickup on it from home without
having to copy to a floppy.  Also OpenWebmail provides an internal calendar
that is maintained by the admin staff to keep the teachers updated on events
and schedules in the school.

- Virus scanning of all inbound and outbound email using MailScanner (Open
Source) and various open source virus scanners.

- File and print services for the students, teachers, and admin staff.
Teachers and admin all have private folders, the students folders are fully
public.

- On-line library card catalog accessable by all networked computers
throughout the school.  This is not Open Source, rather Follet Software, but
there are some very great open source library packages, one from "down
under".  The Follet system uses an SQL database called Faircom that runs
under Linux.

- Virus update server to all the PC's in the school to download their
signature updates from.  The server side is updated every 4 hours via a cron
script and the PC's get their updates from the server.

- The linux server also maintains the database for the web filtering software
that the Cisco router checks for authorization for every browser session from
inside the school.  This database is updated nightly by the system.  The
package is called WebSense and costs the school about 2+ thousand $$$ for the
subscription per year.  Expensive, yes.  Alternatives, we are open to
suggestions....

That is about it in a nutshell.

Check out the site, I think you will be impressed.

  www.SaintTheresaSchool.org

And oh, by the way, the server and systems are maintained by other volunteer
dads and moms and the one computer teacher.

stew