Re: [school-discuss] Comics

Hey Mark... Replies are in-line....

From: Mark Rauterkus [mailto:Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 06:47:27 -0800
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Comics

Hi,

This comic project is unlike that of a typical software (source
forge-ish) release. With software, the newest and best release
generally takes the place of the past tool. Same too with new and
improved consumer products (laundry soap).

In publishing a collection -- there is plenty of value to forking.
I'm not arguing against many different new ideas in a comic strip. That's exactly what I think should happen.

Movie studios don't make only one movie and then update it over and over again.

Think Star Wars, I, II, III etc... And those are not the ONLY movies
ever done with 'space ships'

Re-makes and re-dos of old concepts -- even re-telling and
re-releasing -- is FINE and should be encouraged.
Well, let me give you one example of where a re-write was bad: Star Wars... Han shot first, Remember? You will get Star Wars fans to argue that point... I won't argue it here... but it's a re-visioning of the history of Star Wars... one that I think hurt the series. The problem was that he changed the "Canon" of the story (Admittedly, only a tinnie winnie bit), but it did change our understanding of the whole character of Han Solo.

That being said, the remakes of Star Wars were well done. The movies were, on a whole, better because of the new material and special effects.

So, here's where I'm getting at: If we were making a comic just like Star Wars, and we originally had a "Han Shot First" version... That version should never be changed. Then, later, we made a "Special Edition" where Han shoots second, No problem. But the Original version should be available as well. Now, if we have a persistent universe... Small details like this may be important in the future of the story. Imagine: Han Solo's at a trial... did he shoot first, or only after being shot at? Makes a big difference. One would have to be chosen as Canon, which would make the other "incorrect." I foresee this kind of thing coming up often, and think we would need some way to address it.

So, I see an "open source" challenge to craft the canvas and building
blocks. Then there is the production of the humor / jokes / comic
strip. Both have a shared well for dipping into by anyone with a CC
suite of terms and rights.
Agreed.

Knock, knock....

Who's there?