Re: [school-discuss] Throwing Themselves Into Technology

On
Feb
17,
2008
8:35
PM,
Joel
Kahn
<jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

think
it
is
hopeful
sign
that
Micro$oft,
with
their

Vista
fiasco,
has
finally
managed
produce
line
of

products
so
horrendous
that
the
victims
are,
at
long
last,

forced
out
of
their
inert
lethargy
and
into
looking
at

> Don't
bet
on
it.
MS
is
coming
out
with
Windows
7
next
year

cover over
the
bomb
that
is
Vista,
just
like
Windows

> 2000
covered
over WindowsME.

Win2k and WinME were separate product streams (NT versus Workgroups kernels); but I think you're probably right with the analysis.

Right or wrong, I think it is going to be a common event to have pie-in-the-sky school ICT projects hitting the ground with a thud. We should perhaps reflect on ways that FOSS-based communities like schoolforge can ride to the rescue on a charging white metaphor of our choice.

When the a project like this fails, consider the position of the principal or district admin responsible. They will be in damage control: equipment purchase, licenses paid in full; but a project that is stagnant and borderline unusable. I think there is a space for FOSS communities to rescue schools at this point and garner technical kudos and good will within districts. The stark contrast between community and commercial software is that the former cares that the outcome is a success for the users; while the latter cares only that the legally binding acceptance criteria are achieved to trigger payment in full.

Word-of-mouth is the only advertising medium available to FOSS. It is important to have the right words coming out of the right mouths.

--
  Rich

www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail