Re: [school-discuss] ltsp server specs question

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:28:06PM -0800, David Bucknell wrote:
> If you have experience with ltsp, would you comment on the
> following  specs for a new server for a small school (50
> clients and another  possible 100 laptops ... usually
> only 25% of those on-line).
>
> DA SPECS:
>
> CPU I5-2400                 3y warranty

Might do for 150*0.25 ~= 40 clients with preferably "light"
desktop but rather won't cut it for 70+.

> MB asus p8z68-v lx      3y

You might need a second gigabit ethernet and a switch
that would support bonding for those two interfaces.

Switched 100Mbps for clients is plenty though.

> RAM 4GB                     LT

Will do but be prepared to double it just in case things
go to swap.

> Power Supply 850W      5y
> two 500GB HDs 7200RPM

...in RAID1, and you might prefer seek-oriented drives
(Hitachi, WD Raptor, and SSDs among SATA, or SCSI/SAS if the load
would go up).  Be prepared for 4 drives in RAID10, and by any
margin, avoid RAID5 like plague for that kind of loads.

Good ol' Multi-Disk HOWTO might be your friend ;-)

> no dvd drive

Prepare rescue USB Flash drive then.

> no graphics card, onboard graphics only

That's perfectly useful for yet another seat.

> We're asking because this page is a bit old:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToCookEdubuntu/Chapters/HardwareRequirements

I don't use Edubuntu (ALTSP is quite a bit more resource
efficient), but we've brought up 24 seats on 2x4-core, 8 gigs,
4 HDD server and it barely noticed.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
###