    Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:31:27 -0800
    From: Bill Fitzgerald <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [school-discuss] Schoolforge.net search/browse issue
      To: schoolforge-discuss <schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, all,

I don't know the best person to tell about this; please direct me to the right spot.

And, I am lapsing into Drupal-speak, so my apologies to those on this list who just don't care :)

One thing I noticed on the site was that the UI of the search pages often direct to dead pages.

For example:

1. Start at https://schoolforge.net/education-software
2. Click the link to filter by "GNU Linux" - this brings you to https://schoolforge.net/education-software/gnu-linux/?search=&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC - this is a dead page.

The pages at https://schoolforge.net/education-software and https://schoolforge.net/education-software/gnu-linux/?search=&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC are created by the views module, and the issue here is that there is a disconnect between the info linked in the UI, and the info needed by the view.

Manually editing the url in #2, above, to https://schoolforge.net/education-software/gnu-linux/all?search=&sort_by=title&sort_order=ASC (note the extra "all" after gnu-linux) returns the proper results. This is likely caused by not altering the views default argument handling code; it looks like this view is configured to take taxonomy terms as arguments, and either "all" is set as a required part of the argument, or as part of the url at which the view can be accessed. In any case, this is a config issue that could be adjusted to make the site a little more user friendly.

Switching to Apache Solr to handle search would also make the use of the views module here unnecessary, and would create a very nice, usable, faceted search experience.

Cheers,

Bill

----- End message from bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----

--