Re: [school-discuss] Possibilities

Chris,

I'm trying to prepare a *business* project proposal for a self-sustainably saleable K12LTSP-like configuration template that could be used in both the cities and countryside here in VietNam. Ideal requirements: cheaper, more stable, lower maintenance, less systems training and admin, relative to M$ -- which now dominates this nation, largely because 99% of the software in use has been pirated (according to the US Business Software Alliance).

I'm relying mainly on D. Wheeler's "Why Open Source Software / Free Software (OSS/FS)? Look at the Numbers!", http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html to make the business case.

I've been looking at the K12LTSP site you refer to below, your case study at SilverValley K12 and an multi-part tutorial that was on LinuxWorld, "How to create a Linux-based network of computers for peanuts", http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2001/0823.xterminal.html.

I just wondering if you, or anyone else here, is familiar with both the K12LTSP and the latter tutorial and, if so, if you could offer any advice on the relative merits of each.

Grateful for any enlightenment offered,
An Ddi