[school-discuss] EduML

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Colin Dellow wrote:

> First off, let me say this thread is very, very
> interesting!
>
> I'm a big fan of data exchange systems (I'm also a
> geek, :) XML is certainly the tool of choice
> for this, but why the obfuscated names? Does a child
> of User really need to be called User_UserID, or would
> ID suffice?

That's my fault.  I happened to be the first one to publish my data, so my
schema got taken as the default for this exercise.  You may rest assured
that the final schema will look nothing like this.  :)

> Also, from the viewpoint of manipulating the data,
> it might be better to put Type as its own tag instead
> of an attribute of User.

I just wanted to have an example of an attribute in my simple schmea.
Keep these kinds of thoughts in mind, however. I'm sure we'll be
brainstorming ideas for schema contents before long.  I like Bruno's idea
of getting as many people involved as possible with a nice simple exercise
first.

People who don't have programming experience _will be needed_ for the
brainstorming session.  You don't need to be a programmer to list the
kinds of fields you need for your quiz/lesson/gradebook data.

> Anyway, I can't wait to see where this goes from here.
> If you need additional test records, just ask.

The idea is to compile a report from as many different sources as
possible, so, please, post a URL with your data.  :)

Steve.