Re: [Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] EduML - case issue.]

El Lun 28 Ene 2002 19:33, escribió:
> > > Originating Program ->XML Markup->Receiving Program =>
> > > Extraction and Transformation to
> > > HTML, TeX, PS, PDF => Human Beans
> > >
> > > Les R.
> >
> > 	Ah... I'm not sure we speak of the same thing. I was thinking about the
> > way an application can locate the data before it even thinks of
> > displaying it. For example: the student wants to retrieve a course in
> > english, with a certain difficulty level about a certain thema. Even if
> > the application can read this course and display it (after
> > transformation) you first have to find it on that big (;-) free and
> > distributed course repository we are building. That's why I think we
> > should bring in some metadata. So we do not commit the same error the
> > web architects did when they developped HTML.
>
> Of course it depends how course "objects" are stored.
>
> If stuffed into a SQL database, with content in different large text
> fields, other fields should identify some of the attributes of the course
> including language, difficulty level, theme, etc.
>
> If treated as a file repository, then an indexing scheme will be required
> to read each file for some of it's attributes which would presumably be
> present in a header section of some sort like:
>
> <course>
>   <head>
>      <author>....
>      <title>...
>      <subtitle>...
>      <difficulty>...
>   </head>
>
> or the like.

I'm my opinion, any SQL database should have some procedure to flatten its
data into XML. I mean, apart from defining EduML, there are certain
recommended procedures to be implemented by anyone near to "Schoolforge",
that is, people must save their data in EduML.

Besides, from my point of view, the educative app programmer point of view,
I'd like a set of EduML's for the exchange of data. For example, with so many
programs for   learning languages, why not to establish an XML for the mutual
exchange of it ? and , more important even, to PROMOTE the use of such XML.
It's essential that programmers feel that there's an unified standard and
that that standard may benefit them .
With so many apps, ranging from productivity, to wiki-wiki's, the logical
step is to create several XML's and wrap into a single name:
"XML Standards for the exchange of info in apps related with Schools" or
XoolML.

It's pointless if we define  EduML's and people ignore them.

---
MGA