Re: [school-discuss] EduML

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 03:54:28PM -0800, Tonnesen Steve wrote:

<previous text removed>

> For more details about the Eduml exercises, visit the Eduml Portal at:
>
>    http://knowplace.ca/schoolforge/
>

> Steve Tonnesen

I read the outline of excercises at that URL and have a question. I
don't know if I'm thinking beyond the complexity of what you're
currently attempting, but do you eventually envision software
providing some sort of framework for automatically converting between
other XML schemas and the "core" EduML/SIF/IMS schemas?

I guess I'm thinking about about all the "micro" XML data products out
there.  For example, there are Open Source and proprietary gradebook
applications which export or natively use XML formats for their
storage. Instead of requiring that the application use the "core"
schema the software could (and I believe should) provide a framework
to convert the gradebook XML into the "core" schema.

I think that there are already products, Open Source and otherwise, that
provide something along these capabilities that would serve as a good base
for just that framework.

-- alan

--
Alan Chen