[school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: File formats and distance learning]

Hi,

Of course one can use the "freely available" PP Viewer from the MS site.

As well, once in this format, it doesn't "come out" easily. If the "new,
improved" version of MS-Office has XML markup as a file format, it might
get easier, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, the file format is the tip of the iceburg (berg?) since the rest of
the equation involves:
a) Authoring Software - does it exist?
b) Viewing Software
c) Richness of alternative file formats (ie. able to support similar
feature set)
d) Accessibilty of Authoring - how easy to use, which leads to training
requirements for this vs a huge installed based of knowledgeable users in
PP.
e) Conversion tools - to export to relatively simple data models or markup
(ie. HTML, LaTeX slides,) keeping structural info intact?

My 2 cents worth.

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada