[school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: File formats and distance learning]

Hi,

> > Of course one can use the "freely available" PP Viewer from the MS
> > site.
>
> If you have windows or macitosh running, that is not always a given.
> I have Debian GNU/Linux running. There are some tools, like OpenOffice,
> and there is a PPTtoHTML that I can also install.

> > As well, once in this format, it doesn't "come out" easily.
>
> That is the issue. Microsoft 2000 has a nice export tool.

Yes, but export as what? AFAIK, this is just a graphics image "snapshot"
of each slide. This is totally useless since this is totally shorn of any
content and structure that one can use in creating content in any other
format. (which is, of course, what they want to prevent).

> Even then, my school might not have the money to upgrade.

But the larger issue is that all of your content is trapped and frozen in
a proprietary format, unable to be converted to another, structure rich,
format. (Yes, I know you can "save as" a useless image snapshot or
functionally obfuscated html code...)

What happens in 3 years or 5 years or whenever you want to reuse or edit
that content? You must use the same app that created it in the first
place...

> > b) Viewing Software
> That is the most important for me at this point.

Use either a Windows or Mac box for viewing. or simply create an X server
attached to Windows emulator (ie. VMware or the others...I forget) so that
you can run PPView via an X window anywhere... This is what they do in the
Battlefords School Division near here.

> > c) Richness of alternative file formats (ie. able to support similar
> > feature set)

> A bare minimum is needed. Look at a possible blind student, or disabled
> student, they need at least text. Pictures would be nice as well.

Most any structured format will do for this, since they're (virtually) all
designed to store text and pictures. From HTML up...

> Well, even if they stick to PPT for authoring,  we need a strong enough
> lobby to demand that there is a standard distribution format. That is
> what I am trying to put togeather here.

This just isn't going to happen. MS sells software. MS needs new features
to get you to buy the new version. New versions with new features have new
file formats. New versions read old versions, not the other way around.
All this in aid of making money, not making better software.

Thus sticking with PPT authoring means the game is over before you start.

Thus what is needed is a "Powerpoint Clone" authoring tool that "walks
like PPT" and "talks like PPT", but creates a standard XML format file
based on some XML schema or DTD that can be converted to other
structurally rich formats.

> I am trying to find and organise students and teacher who dont want to
> have to use be *forced* to use windows, at least to take part in a
> course. The authoring of those lessons is a different issue.

I disagree. I see "complaining" as largely as waste of time. (Think of the
DOJ...) Vote with your feet...err...fingers. Use some other sofware that will
accomplish the same thing.

Les