[school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: File formats and distance learning]

Dear Les,
thanks for writing back, you will find my comments below.

--- Les Richardson <richl@mail.tfsd.sk.ca> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Of course one can use the "freely available" PP Viewer from the MS
 > site.

If you have windows or macitosh running, that is not always a
given.  I have Debian GNU/Linux running. There are some tools,
like OpenOffice, and there is a PPTtoHTML that I can also install.

 > As well, once in this format, it doesn't "come out" easily.

That is the issue. Microsoft 2000 has a nice export tool.

 >  If the "new,
 > improved" version of MS-Office has XML markup as a file format, it
 > might get easier, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even then, my school might not have the money to upgrade.

 > Also, the file format is the tip of the iceburg (berg?) since the
 > rest of
 > the equation involves:
 > a) Authoring Software - does it exist?

 > b) Viewing Software
That is the most important for me at this point.

 > c) Richness of alternative file formats (ie. able to support
similar
 > feature set)

A bare minimum is needed. Look at a possible blind student, or
disabled student, they need at least text. Pictures would be nice
as well.

 > d) Accessibilty of Authoring - how easy to use, which leads to
 > training requirements for this vs a huge installed based of
knowledgeable
 > users in PP.
 > e) Conversion tools - to export to relatively simple data
models or
 > markup (ie. HTML, LaTeX slides,) keeping structural info intact?

Well, even if they stick to PPT for authoring,  we need a strong
enough lobby to demand that there is a standard distribution
format. That is what I am trying to put togeather here.

We the students are the customers of the learning institutions.
We need to demand at least a bare minimum of standardization, on
that is not even given at this point.

I am not trying to change the tools that people are used to be
used,but to raise awareness for the needs of an end user.

At this point, there is not any protection for the students from
being forced to install software that might cost them alot of
money or take away their freedom. (eg: Windows and Office)

I am trying to find and organise students and teacher who dont
want to have to use be *forced* to use windows, at least to take
part in a course. The authoring of those lessons is a different
issue.

Thanks for you response, and I look forward to an interesting
discussion.

mike

 > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Doug Loss wrote:
 >
 > > [I received this this morning.  I'm passing it along to
stimulate
 > > discussion (please do the discussion on the schoolforge-discuss
 > > mailing list; if you're not already a subscriber, go to
 > > http://schoolforge.net/sfdiscuss.php and sign up--This includes
 > > you, James Michael DuPont :-) ).--Doug Loss]

PDF.

=====

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss                 Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator  fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University     not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu           Mark Twain